Whole House Humidifier: Humidifiers are a great way to maintain a good and healthy humidity level in your home. If the air in your home is too dry or if you’re suffering from any respiratory issues then you’ll definitely benefit from a humidifier. In this article, we have discussed about the best humidifiers for humidifier for rooms (small and large).
Dry air can be very problematic for both babies and adults. They can cause issues in people with asthma or sinus problems. By using a humidifier one can help to get the balance just right. By adding right amount of moisture back into the air one can help relieve sinus congestion symptoms. This helps us to lead to better sleep at night.
Note: The indoor humidity levels should be between 30-50%
The best humidifiers can easily relieve dry skin and sinuses issues but running one for months involves a lot more maintenance work. Great humidifiers can do the job without any hassles. You can choose between an evaporative or an ultrasonic humidifier. Wicking filter in evaporative model can evaporate the moisture. Ultrasonic models use a vibrating diaphragm to create droplets of liquid water.
In this buying guide, we have the recommendations for the best humidifier for rooms (Small and Big). In the end, you will get to know which type of humidifiers is best suited for you and your home.
Things to Consider before Buying Whole House Humidifier
Before you buy a suitable and best humidifier for rooms, following are the things you need to consider:
1. Why Need a Whole House Humidifier?
I) Effects of Dry Indoor Air
During winter, creating dry indoor air using your home’s heater can lead to some of the following uncomfortable symptoms:
- Irritated throats
- Cracked lips
- Bloody noses
- Itchy skin
- Allergy symptoms
- Sinus infections
- It may also cause peeling of wallpaper, wood flooring and furniture to crack, warp, or separate
II) How a Humidifier Can Help
- Humidifier provides added moisture to your room which helps control your indoor environment
- Simply adding a humidifier, you can protect your health and other home’s structural integrity and wood furnishings
2. Humidifier According to Your Room Size
As discussed above, the indoor humidity levels should be between 30%-50%. Following are the best home humidifier for small [includes medium-size rooms] and large rooms:
I) Humidifier for Small Room
- Humidifiers should be compact and designed to be placed on dresser, desk, or other table
- You should select a lightweight humidifier that can be easily moved to other areas
- Select a model that can operate up to 24 hours before requiring a water refill
- Look for the other features like germ protection, multiple speeds, easy-to-use controls, and more
II) Humidifier for Large Rooms
- If you need to add moisture to large rooms, the console humidifiers and whole-house humidifiers are best suited for you:
- It has more powerful humidification than the small room humidifiers
- It is considerably larger than a single room humidifier
- A Console/Whole room humidifier can produce moisture to spaces as large as 3000 sq ft
- These humidifiers are typically placed on the floor in a central location to cover entire space
- They come in a variety of designs so that you can blend it easily with your decor
Types of Humidifier | Whole House Humidifier
Following are the different types of humidifier for rooms you can get:
1. Cool Mist Humidifiers:
- Cover larger areas
- Uses less electricity than other types
2. Warm Mist Humidifiers:
- Heat your room and provide a warm and comfortable moisture
- Warm mist humidifiers may consumes more electricity than other humidifiers types
- They heat water to boiling due to which it kills germs and impurities before releasing into your room
3. Ultrasonic Humidifiers
- They are available in cool and warm mist types
- They are the quietest humidifiers on the market
We have categorized our whole house humidifier into 2 parts. Check out the following top-rated humidifier for rooms for both small and large rooms:
12 Best Whole House Humidifier
Following are the best whole house humidifiers:
1. Vicks Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier| Whole House Humidifier
The Vick’s Cool Mist Humidifier is very quiet at its job which makes it perfect to be installed in your baby’s nursery and even in your room. It is also antiseptic in nature. The mist from this humidifier soothes coughs and colds.
- Vicks cool mist humidifier is very quiet thus making it great for your bedroom or baby’s nursery
- Its moisture & humidity provides temporary relief from cough & congestion caused due to colds/allergies
- The Dual Scent Pad slots provide soothing Vicks vapors
- It accepts up to 2 Vicks VapoPads (1 already included)
- It has easy filling and cleaning
- It also offers adjustable mist control
2. Crane Drop Ultrasonic Cool Mist Whole House Humidifier
The Crane Drop Humidifier is very easy to work with since it has multiple output options that you can select. This humidifier is also very low when it comes to noise and is also made with an anti- microbial material which is clean and controlled.
- The Crane drop cool mist humidifier is quite easy to use as it offers variable output settings
- The mist output is perfect for humidifying small rooms, that is, up to 500 sq. feet
- Crane’s drop humidifier produce very low noise which makes it the perfect option for light sleepers, kids, and especially babies
- This Crane drop cool mist humidifier is made with anti-microbial material which is clean and controlled
- It reduces mold and bacteria growth by up to 99.96%
3. Vicks Warm Mist Whole House Humidifier
When it comes to quality, nobody can beat Vicks Humidifier. With about 95% of bacteria free air, it diffuses clean air in your house which also helps you get rid of cough and breathing congestion.
- The quality of this humidifier is high as it diffuses 95% bacteria free mist into the air
- This humidifier is filter-free
- It contains of one gallon tank that can easily run for almost like 24 hours
- It provides moisture & humidity to offer temporary relief from cough & congestion
- This humidifier is a germ free Warm Mist that is very easy to clean
4. Crane Adorables Ultrasonic Cool Mist Whole House Humidifier
The anti-microbial material used in this humidifier makes the air clean and can be controlled according to will. Mould and bacteria growth will stop up to 99.96% of what it used to be before. You can run it up to 24 hours a day and it will work without complaints.
- This monkey humidifier is made of anti-microbial material which is clean and controlled in nature
- It helps to reduce mold and bacterial growth by 99.96%
- The variable output setting is being offered by Crane Adorable cool mist humidifiers
- It comes with an adjustable 360 degree mist lid which makes the mist to send in any direction
- Using mist output, one can humidify room up to 500 sq ft
- This humidifier can runs up to 24 hours and is filter free
- This monkey humidifier is very easy to clean
5. TaoTronics Cool Mist Whole House Humidifier for Babies
It is optimally designed where it can be installed anywhere in the office to anywhere in the bedroom. This is a FCC certified product. You can refill it easily and is very light in weight.
- It has space saving design for bedroom nightstand and office desk for better air
- The best part of Quiet Operation Intelligent air inlet design is that, it is FCC Certified
- It is [Bisphenol A] BPA free which means you can use it quite perfectly for baby room nursery
- Comes with dial Knob controller for full control of the air you breathe
- It is very easy to refill and lightweight
- It comes with powerful features 360° nozzle smart LED indicator and auto shut-off
6. Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Whole House Humidifier
The MistAire Humidifier can safely moisturize the air up to 25 hours of continuous operation. The speed is adjustable and it also offers a 5-year guarantee.
- It comes with 5 years of industry-leading warranty
- It can safely moisturizes the air for up to 25 hours of continuous operation
- It is upgraded with sleep-friendly features like quieter beeps (great for sleeping babies)
- Comes with a power light that automatically shuts off after 10 seconds
- It has automatic shut-off feature which allow humidifier to safely turns off when water level is low or the water tank is removed
- It comes with 360 Degree Mist Nozzel that makes it easy to adjust mist direction
- You can also adjust the speed by setting as high/low to fit your comfort level
7. LEVOIT Humidifiers for Large Room | Whole House Humidifier
The Levoit Humidifier is for larger places. It operates with both ultrasonic and cool mist. This device can be used for 36 hours straight in a low mist level.
- It comes with larger 1.5 gallon tank means you can service a larger space (750 square feet)
- It operates with both ultrasonic warm and cool mist
- Warm mist is responsible for killing the bacteria present in the water, thereby helping to humidifying the room quickly
- Cool mist helps to keeps your sinuses and skin hydrated during the summer
- Humidifier capacity allows 36 hours of continuous use in low mist level
- Comes with convenient Remote Control so that you can adjust settings without leaving your bed
- It is very easy to clean
8. Air Innovations Humidifier with Large Capacity | Whole House Humidifier
This humidifier operates very quietly. With about 5 mist settings, this humidifier can run up to 96 hours easily on one tank. With a ceramic filter there is virtually no need of replacement.
- It comes with permanent ceramic filter, thus, it never need to be replaced
- It has an anti-microbial tank & base which helps to freshen your space with pure and clean moisture
- It is designed to operate quietly, helping you get uninterrupted sleep and comfort
- It comes with many different mist settings like, rotating mist nozzle, adjustable humidistat, and more
9. Dyson AM10 Humidifier, White/Silver | Whole House Humidifier
The Dyson Humidifier is certified as Asthma and Allergy friendly. It adopts the UV Cleanse technology which removes 99.9% of bacteria present in water. It offers a long cord which measures 5.9 feet.
- It is a certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America as a Asthma and Allergy Friendly
- The Dyson humidifier adopts patented Ultraviolet Cleanse technology to kill 99.9% of bacteria present in the water
- It is awarded the Quiet Mark accreditation by the Noise Abatement Society
- It generates long range mist projection to distribute the hydrated and hygienic air throughout the room
- The Dyson humidifier uses Intelligent Climate Control to measure temperature and the moisture in the air for comfortable environment
- It comes with Cord Length of 5.9 feet
10. Tekjoy Cool Mist Whole House Humidifier
With a lifetime worth of warranty, Tekjoy offers an excellent deal. This humidifier may look like a complex device but is very easy to operate and clean. It automatically shuts down when water runs out of the tank or is in a wrong position.
- It provides long-lasting relief from stuffy nose to dry skin
- This cool mist ultrasonic humidifier provides up to 24 hours
- It comes with easy-lifting handle that guarantees you a true pleasant refill
- It includes 1 tank brush, 2 ultrasonic disk brushes to clear the humidifier very easily
- It has automatic shut-off that turn off humidifier when water runs out or the tank is in wrong position
- You will get a lifetime support from Tekjoy
11. TBI Pro Whole House Humidifier – Humidifier for Large Rooms
With an option to refill easily, the TBI pro humidifier is ideal for large rooms. It comes with a 360 degrees rotating nozzle with 3 adjustable settings. It will help you fight cough, airborne diseases.
- The best part of this TBI Pro cool mist humidifier is that it can be easily refilled
- It can cleaned thanks to a top-filling design and does not require disassembling the device
- The device contains an impressive 6 liters of water which provides two days of use
- It is ideal for large rooms, bedrooms, children’s rooms, etc
- You do not need to worry about the discomfort caused by dry air during sleep
- It comes with a 360° rotating nozzle and 3 adjustable mist settings which creates a soothing and comfortable environment
- It reduces the risk of diseases, germs and bacteria by maintaining the humidity level above by 43%
- This humidified air helps you to fight cough, allergies, dry skin, and much more
12. KNGUVTH Cool Mist Whole House Humidifier
With a tank capacity of 4.5 litres, this humidifier lasts about 30 hours even after continuous operation. It comes with 3 mist settings and has a noise level below 32 dB which is really quiet.
- It comes with large 4.5L capacity to fill water tank that lasts 30 hours after continuous operation
- It can quickly cover your room, bathroom, bedroom, living room, baby room and office very easily
- It has whisper-quiet operation within a noise level of 32 dB
- This humidifier comes with three Mist Levels settings
- It has 360 degree rotating nozzle which makes it easy to adjust mist and provides wider and uniform coverage
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
1. Will using a humidifier affect my breathing?
A humidifier moistens the dry air inside your house. It is usually refilled with water. Sometimes any solution with medicinal effects is also used as a refill.
2. Do humidifiers cure cough and cold?
Yes, most humidifiers can cure cough as they eliminate bacteria and germs carried from outside by the air. Thus, making the air germ-free and pleasant to breathe.
3. Can I operate my humidifier for long periods of time?
Every humidifier has a capacity of working. One with a large size can run continuously for days while on the other side, small sized ones can work for a day to max. So, you need to regulate your device and read the manual carefully.
4. Can I refill my humidifier with perfumes?
You should not do that. It would rather poison you instead of making the whole place smell sweet. Use only water and approved solutions for refilling.
After looking into the best whole house humidifier, we come out on the following conclusions:
- Make sure to choose the humidifier that can cover your room size
- It should fits your lifestyle and is easy to maintain
- Check for the warranty coverage before buying any humidifier
Abhishek Sharma is the director and founder of Drill it Down, a platform that helps people to drill down their queries to clarity.
He also have 4+ years of experience in research and content development. He enjoy meeting new people and hearing new perspectives.